View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Sarlos
Dark Lord (Sr.Officer)

re: Just ordered a new pc today

Here's the link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Studio+XPS+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+8GB+Memory+/+2TB+Hard+Drive/2834137.p?id=1218354839167&skuId=2834137

Yeah its a dell.... and yeah its from best buy.... but i can use my business card to buy it there easily and its a tax write off! muahahhaaa....

Anyways, its not a pure gaming rig, but it has a pretty good video card, a badass processor, and 8 gigs of ram. Not too shabby for the price, plus throw in 2TB of hard drive space (not like ill EVER use that much!) and its a pretty good deal. I think i'll drop in another 8 gigs of ram to bump it up to 16gigs when i get it, since its upgradeable to 16...that would be pretty beastie. twisted

re: Nice

Nice little rig you got there. I went a little overboard recently, building a rig for ToR, and am now wishing I had saved some cash and went with something like what you got, hehe. The comp I built is sure to be completely unnecessary for ToR.

Now if I could only get my internet issues with Comcast sorted out I should be ready to play. Anyone else feel my Comcast pain?

AMGZ I have to do math to submit this reply????
Sarlos
Dark Lord (Sr.Officer)

Yeah, I really dont think that it will take a monster pc to run TOR....but its always nice to have a brute of a machine if you can afford one! twisted

So what type of setup is everyone else going to use for TOR?

I'm running an intel i5 2500k @ 4.6Ghz, with an EVGA nvidia gtx580 @ 870Mhz, and 8GB DDR3 2133 Mushkin ram.

Nice pc and good specs! It should handle tor no problems. I currently have a pc I custom built last year but I think I want to upgrade before tor comes out. I know my hubby is upgrading his since his is older than mine but I might persuade him to buy me a new mobo/cpu and graphics card envy
Outlaw
=Outlaw=
Master (Jr.Officer)

Excellent news

Forum Image
Kaztiael

re: Re: Just ordered a new pc today

Sarlos wrote:
I think i'll drop in another 8 gigs of ram to bump it up to 16gigs when i get it, since its upgradeable to 16...that would be pretty beastie. twisted

Nice Rig, however I wouldn't waste your money dropping in another 8 gigs of RAM. To be honest, you wont even use the 8 gigs you have coming with it. 99% of applications on the market only use a maximum of 4 gigs of RAM. Only reason to have more than 4 to 6 is if you plan on running alot of intense programs at once. If there is anything that you want to upgrade on a prebuilt it will be maybe the video card, or the hard drive to get better performance. The only time you want to touch the RAM is if you wanting to upgrade the speed of the ram say from 1333 to 1600 mHz. Sorry don't mean to sound negative or a know it all, just thought I would try and save you some money or have it applied to something you will see a difference with.

Kaztiael

RiG I am currently running. I7 2.63 gig processor, 9 gigs of 1600 Mhz RAM Nvidia GTX 480 able to run 65 to 125 fps on any MMO at 1920X1080 resolution.

Mareo

I've been out of the game for a while regarding what's been going on with desktops (I've been just using a laptop and not gaming much). I am looking at just building a barebones kit on tiger direct because I know how to do it and it's cheaper.

I have a few questions for those more inclined on the fads today.

How much ram should I get? (looking at 8 gigs total)

I was looking at the Intel I-5 3.30 ghz...any thoughts?

Any other advice you might have for me in picking a system?

My budget is basically 7-8 total and that includes the $150.00 monitor I'm gonna buy.

thank you in advance for any advice you can give me Happy I am very excited to be part of the guild and can't wait to play with you guys.
Outlaw
=Outlaw=
Master (Jr.Officer)

Yea 8gigs DDR3 is standard now.
so is ~650W PSU, ~1TB HD
I5 3.3 is good, can't go wrong. If you want cheaper/bang for your buck go with AMD (get AM3+ socket mobo)...but some ppl have AMDphobia. If you do go AMD, I'd wait for the bulldozer CPUs (which are AM3+) to come out...or get the cheapest AM3 cpu to hold you over. AM3 cpus are backwards compatible with AM3+ mobos, but not the other way around.
Darinford

Gorrister wrote:

I'm running an intel i5 2500k @ 4.6Ghz, with an EVGA nvidia gtx580 @ 870Mhz, and 8GB DDR3 2133 Mushkin ram.

Right now my craptop has a P8400 2.2ghz & a 9600M GT. I should be good on low settings.
Titheon

Gorrister wrote:

I'll be using BootCamp to run Windows 7: Ultimate 64 on my iMac

2.93Ghz Quad-Core i7
12GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 1GB
27" LED/LCD
1TB Hard Drive w/ 2TB External Back-Up via FW800

Darinford

I might have to get a new computer soon. The clasp broke on my laptop bag while I was carrying it up some stairs. Laptop seems to still work but the screen is busted.

Fortunately it's still functional for the moment I can hook it up to an external display. Don't want to have to swing a new machine before Christmas, I'd much prefer to build a desktop after April/March for the 7970 & maybe even one of the new intel chips if the budget permits.

Took a look at laptops
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214393

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246152

Don't really want to buy either though. Top one will be about 50% faster than the bottom in games, but it's more expensive and I loathe 17" screens on laptops. 5.9lbs vs 7.5lbs.
Mareo

Ok guys so I am looking at two different kits on Tiger Direct...I'm pretty sure I know which one I want but I would like some opinions. I have always been savvy building computers but I haven't kept up on new parts enough to know what is good and what isn't. Please take a look and tell me what you think..

One is an i5 3.3ghz and the other an i3 3.3. They are very close in price and I think the i5 would be better especially because of the ram it comes with...but what about the video card? I really want to build something that is gonna play the game on max settings with out a hiccup. If I did get the i5 it only comes with 4gigs of ram so I will buy an addition for 30 bucks.

I5 Build

I3 Build

Thanks for reading my long post Happy
Darinford

Mareo wrote:
Ok guys so I am looking at two different kits on Tiger Direct...I'm pretty sure I know which one I want but I would like some opinions. I have always been savvy building computers but I haven't kept up on new parts enough to know what is good and what isn't. Please take a look and tell me what you think..

One is an i5 3.3ghz and the other an i3 3.3. They are very close in price and I think the i5 would be better especially because of the ram it comes with...but what about the video card? I really want to build something that is gonna play the game on max settings with out a hiccup. If I did get the i5 it only comes with 4gigs of ram so I will buy an addition for 30 bucks.

I5 Build

I3 Build

Thanks for reading my long post Happy

the I5 comes with a geforce 210 that's not an option. I think that'll be on par with the games minimum specifications quite possibly below them.

The I3 rig comes with a Radeon 6770 that should run it fine. I'm Just guessing but I would expect that to come close to maxing the game out. I suspect that one would probably have to choose between maxing view distance and maxing AA with such a card. Again that's mostly a guess based on what the devs have said and the screenshots etc I've seen. (I'm assuming 1920x1080 or lower resolution & 30fps) The only way to know for certain is to hold off until the NDA gets lifted.

The difference between a Geforce 210 and a Radeon 6770 is probably something like 1200-1600% or more.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diabolic Forum Index -> Mos Eisley Cantina All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Search TORHead